10 ways to get your house ready to sell
- Fresh paint
- Have carpets professionally cleaned
- Get rid of clutter
- Give it curb appeal
- Have tile, grout, and natural stone professionally cleaned
- Have area rugs and upholstery professionally cleaned
- Clear kitchen counters
- Clean windows
- Make the house smell inviting
Spring is the birth of new life; flowers, cherry blossoms, warm air and the scent of fresh cut grass.
With Spring upon us it's the beginning of the hottest time for the "home selling season."
With the selling season here, is your home prepped and ready to sell? If you answered no, it's good to know Knoll.
Did you know that clean carpet, area rugs, upholstery, tile, grout and stone can help sell a home?
Here are 10 steps you can take to prepare your home to sell.
1. Paint-touch up scuff marks on walls and baseboards. Re-paint colored walls with neutral tones. It's easy for a buyer to imagine their furnishings with any neutral color, not so much a bold color such as purple.
2. Carpet-unless your carpets are brand new, you’ll want to have them professionally steam cleaned. You’ll be amazed at what a difference it makes. Spots, spills and heavy traffic areas are offensive to potential buyers. How much to clean my carpet?
3. Clutter-get rid of it! The closets, storage rooms and garages appear to be the most cluttered areas of the house. If you can't part with it, pack it up in a box and rent a storage facility while the home is on the market, if it's still in storage a year from now, maybe you didn't need it after all-toss it.
4. Curb appeal-get rid of the 30 gnomes in the yard, pull the weeds, trim the grass and plant a few bright flowers in the front flower beds. In the backyard, set up the BBQ area, clean the yard furniture, stage a relaxing place to hang out at the end of a long day with a glass of wine or a fun place to entertain for your buyers vision of how much they will enjoy the backyard.
5. Tile, grout or natural stone-showers especially take a beating, make sure that they are free of soap scum and mildew. Is any grout missing? How about the caulking? Look closely at stone counter tops such as granite, marble and limestone which can become etched or scratched over time. A professional company can remove stubborn soap scum, replace or even color grout and polish the counters til they shine. How much to clean my tile, grout or natural stone?
6. De-personalize-remove the pictures and nick-knacks that you have collected on your past trips, anything that personalizes the home. Your wish is for the buyer to dream about their wonderful happy family living in the home, with your family out of the picture (literally).
7. Area rugs and upholstery-even though you will most likely take the furniture and rugs with you, clean gives the impression that the home is well cared for as well as removes odors and freshens up the room. How much to clean an area rug?
8. Clear kitchen counters-Remove your fruit bowl/blender/George Foreman Grill/over sized mixer/toaster/knife block, from the counters – you want the counters to be as clear as possible. Add fresh cut flowers to put a little extra cheer in the kitchen.
9. Get the windows cleaned-You can't deny it; rain, snow and construction can really make your windows dirty, even though you might not be able to see it that is until the sun pokes out.
10. Make your home smell inviting-If you’re a dog owner, wash any couches, beds and surfaces where the dogs sleep. You may not smell the pup anymore, but Buyers will. Tuck the litter box away (and clean it twice a day while your home is on the market). Before showings bake chocolate chip cookies or bread to add a comforting smell when a potential buyer walks in the home.
It's good to know Knoll-we can't help you with all of the above, but we can help you with adding sparkle to:
- Area and Oriental rugs
- Upholstery and leather
- Tile, grout and natural stone
- Hardwood or concrete floors
- Custom rug creation and carpet edging
Taking pride in providing our customers a safe, trusted, caring and intimate experience while cleaning and restoring their homes in prep to sell.
For almost 80 years HammondKnoll has been a trusted member of the greater Puget Sound community.
So what are you waiting for? Let's prep that home, make it shine and sparkle earning you top dollar.