Why call a commercial cleaning company for your wet carpet?
- They have the right cleaning solutions and the best equipment.
- They have very hot water and powerful vacuums.
- A deep clean improves air quality.
- No worries about mildew or mold.
- Carpet will look as good as new.
- They can apply protection.
- They know the different types of carpet – including yours.
- They offer a guarantee.
Wet carpet is a drag.
As a business owner or building manager, you don’t want to deal with this issue in your office or workspace.
But drying wet carpet properly is crucial or you could deal with a worst-case-scenario: mold.
Even under the best circumstances, wet carpet that’s not dried quickly and correctly can cause your carpets to look bad.
That’s NOT good for business.
Don’t worry – we’ve got the information you need to tackle wet carpet as soon as it happens.
Plus, you’ll get the inside scoop on why a reputable commercial carpet cleaning company is your best bet to handle the job and take the burden off your shoulders.
Here’s what you need to know.
Determine the type of water you’re dealing with
The first step in fixing the problem is figuring out exactly what kind of water has soaked your carpet in the first place.
Yes, there are different classifications for water, depending on the source and how clean the water is. 🤷
- “Clean” water is considered safe and comes from a source that’s sanitary. It poses no threat to the people in your office building. It can come from a broken pipe, an overflowing sink, or even rainwater that finds its way in an open window.
- “Gray” water is contaminated with microorganisms and can make people and animals sick. It could come from a leaky toilet, a sump pump that breaks, a broken fish tank, or a leaky washing machine.
- “Black” water is highly toxic and could cause serious infections or illnesses. It can come from a backed-up sewer or standing water that has become contaminated.
Keep in mind that this is the only type of water damage you can attempt to handle yourself is “clean” water.
Any water that has any chance of being contaminated should go straight to the professionals at a commercial carpet cleaning company.
What to know before drying
There are a couple things you should do before you try to dry your building’s carpet.
- If any electrical outlets are near the wet carpet or in danger of getting wet, shut off the electricity to the area just to be safe.
- Find the source of the water. If it’s a pipe that’s leaking, have it repaired right away.
- Throw out anything that’s damaged beyond reasonable repair.
- If possible, move desks, desk chairs, waiting room furniture so that they don’t become soiled.
- Minimize foot traffic on the affected area while it’s wet. The more it’s walked on, the deeper the moisture gets forced into the carpet.
The best carpet drying process
What is the best process for drying wet carpet?
- The best process for drying wet carpet is:
- Use a wet-dry vacuum to suck up the water.
- Next, use a microfiber towel to soak up the moisture that’s still left.
- Use fans to get air moving and dry the carpet more quickly.
- Check the subfloor for moisture.
- Call a commercial carpet cleaning company.
Follow these tips to safely remedy your building’s wet carpet.
1. Suck it up
The first thing you’ll want to do is remove as much water as you can with a wet-dry vacuum.
(Remember to keep an eye on the tank and empty it often. It’s bad for the motor to run with a full tank.)
2. Soak it up
After you’ve removed as much of the water as you can, it’s time to use a microfiber towel to soak up the moisture that’s left.
Spread the towel over the wet carpet and pat until the towel is saturated. Keep repeating the process with fresh towels until they aren’t collecting any more moisture.
3. Fan it out
When you create airflow in your space, it will dry more quickly and thoroughly.
Set up fans throughout the space where the water was and let ‘em get to work.
If possible, open doors and windows to increase the air moving through.
A small area may be dried with a blow dryer.
4. Check it out (the subfloor, that is)
After you’ve sucked, soaked and fanned, pull back the carpet (in a corner is easiest) and see if the pad and/or subfloor underneath are wet.
If so, you have the potential for a mold problem.
Which leads us to the next step.
5. Call a commercial carpet cleaning company
When you have wet carpet padding – or the previous steps didn’t work – it’s really important to call in the big guns, AKA the professionals.
A reputable commercial carpet cleaning company like Hammond Knoll (😉) can help you assess the situation and recommend your best next steps.
If a deep clean is needed to rid your space of lingering ick, you can count on the expertise of the pros.
Why you need a commercial carpet cleaning company
As we mentioned before, the only type of wet carpet you should attempt to take care of on your own is the result of “clean” water.
Always leave the microorganisms and contaminants to the people who know how to handle them.
Even if you feel like you successfully removed and dried the area of wet carpet in your commercial building, it’s still a good idea to have a commercial carpet cleaning company weigh in.
They may recommend a deep clean and here’s why you should take their advice:
- They have the best equipment and cleaning solutions and know exactly what to use on your office’s carpet.
- They use very hot water that cleans well and powerful vacuums that can remove more water.
- A deep clean will improve the air quality in your building.
- You won’t have to worry about mildew or mold.
- Your carpet will look as good as new.
- They can apply a protective coating that will guard against wear and tear and dirt.
- They know all about different types of carpet – including yours.
- They guarantee their work.
Take a look at the carpet in this commercial space that we make bright and clean again:
Give your commercial building’s carpet the best care
As a business owner or building manager, you’re well aware of that fact.
But when it comes to wet carpet and all that it entails, you have to know how to handle it and to act quickly.
Follow the instructions laid out here to remedy the “clean” water situations and leave the rest to your trusted commercial carpet cleaning company.