When it comes to cleaning carpet, area rugs, tile, grout and natural stone, you need the job done right, the first time around.
Knowing whether a cleaning company is trustworthy and has true expertise can be a crapshoot.
Once in a while, you get lucky and find out sooner than later that a cleaning company is not as professional as they claim.
It can be as simple as not showing up to the scheduled appointment or doing a horrific job.
It’s time to hire a new floor cleaner when...
The list is quite long of the damage incorrect cleaning processes can cause.
When the damage is visible, you’ve got a clear sign that it’s time to find another service provider.
Here are a few examples:
- Your carpet gets dirtier quicker after each cleaning.
- Stains reappear as soon as the carpet dries after a cleaning.
- Grout around tile remains dull and soiled.
- Natural stones – such as granite, marble, or slate – look hazy and scratched on the surface.
- The carpet is still wet the next day or even the day after that.
- Trafficked areas on carpet or hard-surface floors are sticky and appear worn and dingy.
Trust your gut: If it doesn’t appear right, it’s probably not!
It’s telling you it’s time to find a true professional.
The dangers of poor cleaning practices
If you use a floor cleaning company that doesn’t have a well-trained staff, you could end up dealing with issues like:
- Paying to restore the surface back to its original condition.
- Paying for replacement flooring if restoration isn’t possible.
- Voiding the flooring’s warranties (which happens if you don’t follow the proper cleaning methods required by the manufacturer).
10 ways to know you’re working with a cleaning expert.
If you’re ready to put bad experiences behind you and you want to work with a trusted floor cleaning vendor, use this list to separate the best from the rest:
- Check reviews. Past customers will tell a story. A reputable company should have ratings of 4.8 or higher.
- Inspect vehicles. Are their vehicles clean inside and out? If they don’t take pride in their company vehicle, are they going to take pride in your furnishings?
- Check recommendations. Call your favorite floor-covering store. Heck, go ahead and call several! A floor-covering store is your best bet for a solid recommendation for a cleaning service.
- Consider transparency. You should receive clear and honest expectations with the process, dry times and results.
- Check references. A reputable company should provide you with 2 to 4 references. Go ahead call them before you spend your hard-earned money.
- Speak to a live person. When you call the vendor on the phone during regular business hours, do you get a live person? How about one-upping that – is it a knowledgeable, helpful, happy live person? The person you speak to should be a helpful expert who can answers your questions.
- Visit the website. Check out the vendor’s list of employees and how long they’ve been with the company. A reputable company will have employees that stick around.
- Request estimates. When you receive an estimate, it should be clear, with expectations clearly outlined. The costs for each service performed should be highlighted.
- Check certifications. Is the firm IICRC Certified? If so, they are most likely following industry standards.
- Ask about guarantees. Do they guarantee their work? If the first go around is not satisfactory, will they return to reservice the work?
In the cleaning industry, it’s rare to find all ten factors in a cleaning expert.
But your business or home is worth it.
Take the time and effort to qualify your floor cleaning expert in advance, and you’ll be a satisfied customer.
Did we miss something? Can you think of any other things to look for from an expert cleaning service?